Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Model Railroading - The Board Game

So, there's a lot of aspects to Model Railroading.  Running trains, building kits, detailing, scenery, trackwork, electronics.  It crosses over many borders, and combines many interests under one umbrella.


I like making scenery, and running trains.  I enjoy the meets, switching, and operations.  To me, it is one big, co-operative board game.  Each play has their pieces (trains) and there are rules to follow (who gets to go first, as a basic example, when two trains meet).

I am fortunate that my 'board' for this game is the North Shore Model Railroad, in Wakefield, Mass.  It is a 30 year old club, with a 90' x 30' model railroad.  To try and put that in perspective, you cannot see one end of the layout from the other.  There is over a mile of track laid down, and hundreds of switches (that which allows trains to move from track tot rack).

Over the past nine months or so, I have been creating the 'rules' for a game that runs on this layout, and this past session things finally clicked into place.  We had a good run, and a dozen of my fellow enthusiasts had a good time.  There's still some tweaking to do but, overall, we're in a good place.

Have an interest in model trains?  Wanna see what's this is all about?  Well, drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment