Thursday, January 20, 2011

Dentistry

Wow, whole week behind.  Le sigh.

So, yeah!  Dentistry.  It has come a long way.  I spent a good 20 years without going to the dentist.  I know, ew.  But, I'm back in the clean world, now, and they're jammin' away on my mouth.

Here's what I've learned:


A good dentist means EVERYTHING.  Mine's Dr. Toracca, in Melrose.  He is a tiny god.  I just don't feel any pain when he works.  He's good and fast.  He explains everything, and goes out of his way to make sure everything's a-ok, BEFORE I leave his office.  Amazing.

A good dentist is nothing without a good staff.  Which this man has, in spades.  I've been worked on by Lisa, and the good doctor is assisted by Danielle.  They're both rock stars, committed to making sure I get the best care, and never feel any pain.

I am reassured by technology.  My dentist uses digital USB x-ray sensors, instead of film, and software called Dentrix.  I happen to have supported this software when I was an IT contractor (as well as it's primary competitor, Patterson Eaglesoft).  There's something about the fact that, should something go wrong with the computer or software, I could leap out of the chair and fix it which gives me an odd sense of invulnerability.  My dentist is a 21st century care practitioner, and I am soothed.  Your mileage may vary.

Medicated Fillings.  A mix of Zinc Oxide, Oil of Clove, and probably one or two other binder ingredients.  Oil of Clove has, apparently, been known for centuries to ease pain.  Someone, somewhere, RECENTLY, figured out how to make it into a paste that sets in 10 minutes, and feeds the healing oil into the tooth.  It is now possible to avoid a root canal, should this medicated filling work.  Again, it depends on the amount of damage.  I have one.  It is working like a charm.

A final note:  You should not feel pain, when at the dentist.  Afterward, sure.  And that's what Advil is for.  But if you feel pain during the procedures, TELL YOUR DENTIST.  If he can't perform pain-free work, find a new dentist.  :)

1 comment: